Sunday, February 27, 2011

Do you want to know a secret?

I have a secret I'd like to share.

It's something I've been doing for three weeks and it's like I'm a new woman. My house is cleaner, my kids are getting more nutritional food, the clutter situation is being addressed, less fruit and vegies are being wasted and I'm not so tired that I fall asleep on my feet.

I can tell that everyone is keen to hear the seret, and it really is quite simple. I have turned the traditional working week on its head and now have a two-day week and a five-day weekend.

I don't know how I managed to work almost full-time since having kids, and I have the utmost respect for anyone who successfuly juggles career and parenthood. Me, I wasn't so good at it.

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't a complete disaster. I did pretty well at the whole career thing, and I'm not a dreadful mother (half-arsed? maybe). But work and kids often competed for my time, meaning that something had to give. And it was usually me.

Now, the two days I spend at work are extremely productive, not only because I know my time there is limited, but I am also not wasting work time worrying about when the groceries will get done, or feeling guilty about not helping Gromit with his spelling words that morning, or ringing daycare because I forgot to mention something important at drop-off.

It's also hard, at just two days a week, to get drawn too far into office politics - or gossip - which means I am pretty much left to my own devices during the day.

Two days is also good time for me to have as an outlet from the monotony of parenting and housework. I would, truly, go stir crazy if I didn't have this.

I admit, the finances have taken a hit, and there have been cutbacks. No more impulse buying for me, or amplifiers for the Winemaker (really, five amplifiers is enough for anyone).

Ask me again in a few months how I feel about the money situation, but at this stage, I see no faults with my plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment