Sunday, November 14, 2010

The meaning of luck

So the Winemaker and I will never be rich, nor will we be famous. But we really are very lucky.

Sometimes, in the day-to-day drudge of family-work-life-sleep (not enough of the latter, in my opinion), it's easy to forget that fact, but yesterday, I was sharply reminded of it as I looked around at all the people who had come together to celebrate Missy's birthday.

There were my mum (Moni) and my aunts and an uncle, as well as families we have met through Gromit's daycare, school, swimming, playgroup and other activities.

The lucky bit comes from the fact that not one of his friends have a parent that the Winemaker or I don't get along with, or don't think is "right" for our kids to be hanging out with. Many of his friends he has known since daycare, so their parents have known him since he was a toddler. I would trust them with his life. And, lucky for Missy, a lot of them now have younger brothers and sisters for her to play with; and who, eventually, she will join at school.

There's no doubt it was an exhausting afternoon, and I could have done without the 5am Missy wake-up call this morning, but that doesn't diminish my general good feeling.

I just hope I get a nap sometime today.

No comments:

Post a Comment